Tuesday, August 25, 2009

My little kitchen "helper"

My biggest weakness is sweets. Here is the yummy icing recipe I've been favoring lately...
4 sticks of butter, softened just a little bit
One of the big bags of powdered sugar...I think it's 2lbs
2tsp real vanilla...not the imitation kind!
one pinch of kosher salt
Start with 3Tablespoons WHOLE milk (very convenient if you have a baby around who drinks whole milk!)... you'll add as much as you need to get the consistency you want
You can half this recipe...just use a smaller pinch of salt. You can also add crushed oreos or butterfingers...yum! I just piped the icing with a big swirl using a big star tip on top of chocolate cupcakes (use the recipe from the back of the Hershey's cocoa powder box- delicious!) Oh they were so yummy. I wish I had a picture of them.... Look back at Stacy's shower, or William's party. For the big swirl I needed all of the icing, for regular cupcakes or a round cake you probably only need half. But it freezes well if you make too much FYI :-) Enjoy and then hit the gym!
My other new thing to make are mini peanut butter cups. Are you ready for the ease of this....

Wilton milk chocolates candy melts(2.49)
Wilton white chocolates candy melts (2.49)
Wilton plastic/ disposable icing bags...pretty cheap, don't try ziplocs...it doesn't work, I tried!
Peanut butter
Candy molds...I used Wilton (they are $1.99)

Put half the bag of chocolate candy melts in a disposable icing bag. Defrost in your microwave for a few minutes...maybe 2...just until they are soft. Cut the bottom off of the icing bag and pipe or squeeze into the molds...fill them 1/3 to 1/2 way. Malt the white chocolate candy melts just like the others, but in a bowl. When they are almost finished add a big spoon of PB and stir until it melts. Pour into an icing bag, snip the top and fill the molds the rest of the way. I tap mine on the counter to make them smooth. Cool on counter or in the fridge if you're impatient. Pop out of the molds and like WDP says, "Ta-da"...yum! If there's chocolate left in the bags you can squeeze it onto parchment paper, let it cool and then reuse it later. There are sooo many fun uses for candy melts! A coworker told me she eats this with a banana- tried it this morning and she's right- quite delicious.... again, hit the gym when finished!
oops...mommy has looked the other way for a minute....I'll show her how much fun I can have when she's making candy....
uh oh i just wanted to pretend like this was a cup

6 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

oh my goodness I am going to have to make those! they look so good and you have had me thinking about them non stop since you facebooked about them! WDP is the cutest thing!

The Colorado Carrs said...

I think you have the coolest kitchen ever!!! I love it!

yuuuuummmmmmm

JTP said...

thanks sica...it was our wedding present to ourselves...Chad is super handy :-)

Byerly said...

That all sounds de-lish!! Love seeing William causing trouble in the kitchen...he's a cutie! Thanks for sharing the recipes. When I'm feeling brave,I think I'll try to make the peanut butter cups.

KatieKate said...

God bless you and your homemade peanut butter cups. I love you.

Unknown said...

those sounds awesome, love that he helps in the kitchen , one o four will's favorite things to do is make anything sweet. love your kitchen floor, black and white, so chic.