Sunday, May 4, 2008

mmmm, poundcake

So sad!!!! This is our last peiece of poundcake from last weekend. It was so yummy, and so bad for you, and we loved every bite of it! After several requests here is "my" poundcake recipe. Well, really it's William Rutherford's(who needs a blog...and baby William's namesake) grandmother's recipe, but I entered it into the Williamson County Fair and won with it, so it's the one I use.... Enjoy!

Ready Betty’s Pound Cake

Ingredients:
2 sticks margarine (room temp)
½ cup Crisco (room temp)
3 cups Sugar
5 jumbo eggs (room temp)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1 tsp. pure lemon extract
1 cup whole milk
3 cups cake flour
¾ tsp. baking powder

Directions:
Cream margarine and Crisco together
Add sugar a little at a time and beat well
Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Add vanilla and lemon extract to the cup of milk.
Combine flour and baking powder
Alternate adding mild mixture and flour mixture (sift this as it is added). Start with milk and end with flour.
Lightly grease and flour pan. Add batter to pan.
Place in cold oven. Set oven at 325° F and cook for 1 ½ hours.
Cake is done when toothpick comes out clean. I always find it takes closer to 2 hrs, but then again this is one of the four things I can cook....

FYI the top of the cake is the best- you know the crunchy part. Don't let your husband try to eat all of the top- it wouldn't be fair. And it's extra yummy when it's cold, like straight from the fridge cold, with a big glass of milk...I'm getting hungry just thinking about it..... A pregnant girl should npt post recipes- now I want to make it again.

7 comments:

Sunday Grant Photography said...

prize winning pound cake! can't wait to try it out! Thank you.

The Colorado Carrs said...

I know!!!! ahhhhhhh

Unknown said...

Alright, miss JT, I've always wanted a good pound cake recipe and hello again.
It's so great to see you, you look great and so cute pregnant.
I'v been meaning to stop by your blog for sometime, Sunday told me you had one. You are amazingly talented too, the bubble suit for Bella Rose, it's wonderful, my favorite one i've ever seen.
love you, annie

Anonymous said...

"Cream together margarine and Crisco"-- how much do I miss you?! p.s. happy birthday to the Birthday Girl in just a few short hours!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

okay one more question, i don't have lemon extract but I have everything else here. do you think that I could just squeeze a little lemon in? and i read all the way through the recipe and saw where you say you only make like 4 things and that is SO not true!!! so are you going to go to greenville anytime soon?

JTP said...

I did that this last time- I just squeezed lemon juice, but...don't add it to the milk- it will curdle your milk...I had to make the liquid stuff twice last time.... just add it to the batter..... yum- I wish I was coming to your house today!

Sunday Grant Photography said...

i am so glad that i just came and checked the blog, i was about to add it to the milk. oh thank goodness!! I am excited about this stuff, i keep telling people i am making county fair 1st place winner pound cake.